War on Terrorism

Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Forces Detain Terrorists; Car Bombs Kill Iraqis

American Forces Press Service

April 24, 2007 – Coalition forces detained 10 suspected terrorists in Iraq today, and three Iraqi civilians and six
police officers were killed and 49 people were injured in car bomb attacks yesterday and today, military officials reported. Coalition forces detained 10 suspected terrorists and uncovered a cache of weapons in several operations in central Iraq today.

Three coordinated coalition forces raids apprehended 10 individuals suspected of operating with al Qaeda in Iraq and facilitating foreign fighters southeast of Fallujah.

In Baghdad, coalition forces discovered a weapons cache containing rockets, mortars, terrorist propaganda and improvised explosive device-making materials. Explosive ordnance disposal teams neutralized the cache.

"We will continue to work diligently to eliminate foreign terrorists, who are killing innocent Iraqis every day and destabilizing the country," said
Army Lt. Col. Christopher Garver, Multinational Force Iraq spokesman.

Elsewhere, three civilians were killed and 36 were injured after two suicide bombers detonated their vehicles in western Ramadi today.

The first attack occurred after two trucks approached the Huriyah police station. The lead vehicle exploded near the entrance at 1:18 p.m., causing a nearby house to collapse, killing three civilians and injuring 31, including five
police officers.

"Two trucks came around the corner; the lead truck exploded, and the second truck sped away," an Iraqi
police officer who was at the Huriyah police station said.

About 15 minutes later, two kilometers southwest of the first attack, a sedan exploded near a restaurant in the 5-Kilo district, injuring five.

Yesterday, a car bomb detonated at an Iraqi
police checkpoint near Diyala's provincial council headquarters, killing six policemen on site and wounding 13 more, one of whom died later.

"This will not deter the work of the honorable and dedicated (people) to bring about security, peace and prosperity," said Diyala Gov. Raad Hameed al-Mula Jowad al-Tamimi, who said he condemns the
criminal and cowardly acts by the terrorists.

Although a provincial council meeting was about to begin, the target of the attack is unknown since the vehicle detonated as the Iraqi
police were directing traffic, allowing a coalition forces convoy to pass through the checkpoint unhindered.

"The provincial council, who was meeting to discuss the 2007 provincial budget, continued their meeting despite the attack," said
Army Col. David W. Sutherland, 3rd Brigade Combat Team, 1st Cavalry Division commander and senior U.S. Army officer in Diyala. "The council members refuse to be intimidated or swayed by this attack, realizing security and stability for the people is necessary."

Iraqi army and police were on site immediately to execute emergency procedures and secure the area. Nine of the wounded Iraqi
police were transferred to a coalition force medical facility for treatment. The additional police officers were transferred to Baqouba General Hospital.

"The responsiveness of the Iraqi army and
police was critical in today's attack, as it prevented the death of local citizens and possibly, government officials," Sutherland said. "Their quick response shows the increasing progress of their forces and their desire to protect the people of Diyala."

(Compiled from Multinational Corps Iraq and Multinational Force Iraq news releases.)

Article sponsored by
Criminal Justice online leadership as well as police and military personnel who have authored books.

No comments: