Tuesday, November 02, 2010
Bomb Plot Shows Serious Threat, Spokesman Says
By Jim Garamone
American Forces Press Service
“It’s a serious threat, and it’s a threat not only to
, but the Yemen and other regional interests,” Pentagon spokesman Bryan Whitman said. U.S.
and in the Great Britain last week intercepted in transit packages rigged to explode. A search is under way for any other packages that may have been mailed, officials at the Department of Homeland Security said. United Arab Emirates
DOD officials have been working with
to implement “a holistic approach” to address security and counterterrorism concerns in the nation, Whitman said, and the Yemen government also is working with Yemeni authorities to address political, economic and social challenges in the country. U.S.
But the department is not considering any overt move in
, Whitman said. The Yemen has a modest training mission in the country, and works with the Yemeni military to build capabilities to counter al-Qaida in the United States Arabian Peninsula. “We work very closely with the government of on our counterterrorism assistance activities,” Whitman said. Yemen
has recognized the problem for years. United States baseline assistance to U.S. increased from $17.2 million in fiscal 2008 to $40.3 million in 2009 and around $72.3 million in 2010. President Barack Obama has requested $106.6 million in assistance for fiscal 2011. These totals do not include counterterrorism or humanitarian assistance. Yemen
received $155.3 million in fiscal 2010. This included a $34.5 million special operations force counterterrorism enhancement package. The program is designed to improve the tactical effectiveness and operational reach of the Yemeni special operations force, officials said. It provides equipment and training to improve the Yemeni military’s mobility, situational awareness, survivability, communications and tactical proficiency. Yemen