New U.S. Department of Homeland Security Report Shares Best Practices, Guidance and Case Studies for Using Social Media in Public Safety ExercisesDHS has released a new report, Best Practices for Incorporating Social Media into Exercises, which seeks to do the following:
- Discuss best practices for consideration when integrating social media into exercises, including objectives for doing so (e.g., using social media for communications or leveraging information from social media to support operational decision-making).
- Discuss social media's role in exercise design.
- Identify social media exercise planning elements in the homeland security exercise and evaluation program practices.
- Address the need for the integration of social media into all aspects of preparedness, response and recovery, including exercises and training to ensure operational implementation and longevity.
- Discuss challenges associated with integrating social media into exercises, including policy, technical and procedural challenges.