War on Terrorism

Sunday, June 10, 2007

Combined Forces Kill One, Detain 13; Car Bombs Damage Clinic, Mosques

American Forces Press Service

June 10, 2007 – Combined forces killed one
terrorist and detained 13 suspected terrorists during the past few days in Iraq, military officials reported. Forces also responded to attacks on a medical clinic and two mosques. Coalition forces captured six suspected terrorists today during operations that continue to deny safe haven to members of the al Qaeda in Iraq terrorist network, military officials said.

Based on information gained during a May 27 operation, coalition forces targeted a location in Fallujah looking for an individual suspected of recruiting for al Qaeda. Officials said the suspected jihad
leader is known for using "join or die" sermons and indoctrination ceremonies where those who refuse to swear allegiance are killed. Coalition forces detained one suspected terrorist associated with the leader, military officials said.

In Mosul, two coordinated operations netted three suspected
terrorists tied into the al Qaeda in Iraq network. One of the suspects allegedly is a recruiting emir for the terrorist network in Mosul, while another is suspected of facilitating the movement of foreign fighters for al Qaeda in Iraq, officials said.

Southeast of Fallujah, coalition forces detained two suspected terrorists for their alleged involvement with a senior al Qaeda in Iraq leader known for placing improvised explosive devices and coordinating
terrorist attacks.

"We're relentlessly attacking the al Qaeda network to deny terrorists the ability to hide among the Iraqi people and spread their jihadist propaganda," said Lt. Col. Christopher Garver, Multinational Force Iraq spokesman. "The Iraqi people are choosing their own future, and it does not include terrorism."

In Baghdad yesterday, coalition forces killed one
terrorist and detained three suspected terrorists during operations targeting secret cell network operations, military officials said.

The captured insurgents are believed to be members of the secret cell terrorist network known for facilitating the transport of weapons and explosively formed penetrators from Iran to Iraq, as well as brining militants from Iraq to Iran for terrorist training.

As coalition forces moved to the targeted building, two terrorists on the roof drew their weapons to engage the ground force. Coalition forces, responding in self defense, engaged the armed terrorists, wounding them. Officials said one terrorist died and the other was taken to a
military medical facility for treatment.

Two more suspects were detained by coalition forces at the scene. Both detainees and the wounded terrorist tested positive for explosives residue.

Intelligence reports indicated the terrorist who died was a mid-level facilitator for the secret cell network, military officials said.

"We will kill or capture terrorists where they hide," Garver said. "Denying terrorists safe havens in Iraq is a key step toward providing Iraq and its people the opportunity for a secure and stable future."

Elsewhere, a car bomb detonated near an Iraqi National
Police patrol in the Adhamiyah security district of the Iraqi capital, officials said. Two policemen were killed and one was wounded. A third police officer was killed from small-arms fire that occurred immediately following the explosion.

A coalition explosive ordnance team responded to the scene. There were no civilian casualties, officials reported.

Near Tikrit, Iraqi
army forces captured four insurgent cell leaders June 8 who are accused of conducting improvised explosive device attacks, sniper attacks and kidnappings against civilians and Iraqi and coalition forces, military officials reported.

The four captured insurgents also allegedly are connected to three sniper attacks earlier this year and are believed to be responsible for conducting surveillance of Iraqi and coalition forces.

Acting on tips from local citizens, Iraqi forces along with coalition advisors entered the targeted house and captured the four suspects without incident, officials said.

Meanwhile, a suspected suicide truck bomb with about 400 pounds of explosives detonated in front of a Shiia Turkomen mosque, killing at least 17 and wounded 20 others in the city of Daquq, south of Kirkuk, military officials reported.

The blast occurred during midday prayer. At around the same time, less than three blocks from the mosque, a second suicide bomber detonated several munitions inside a medical clinic, killing himself and another individual, officials said.

Soldiers from Company D, 2-35th Infantry Regiment, 3rd Brigade Combat Team, 25th Infantry Division on patrol in the area moved to secure the site. An explosive ordnance disposal team conducted post-blast analysis, officials said.

"Both of these attacks demonstrate the absolute heartless and cowardly nature of the terrorists. We suspect the clinic attack was used to prevent those injured in the mosque attack from being cared for quickly," said Col. Gary Patton, chief of staff, 25th Infantry Division.

The blast heavily damaged the mosque, destroying its dome and entrance. Officials also reported major damage to the medical clinic.

Meanwhile, Iraqi National
police responded to an attack on a Sunni mosque in the Rashid District in southwest Baghdad, military officials said.

Police cordoned off the surrounding area after the Al Fattah Pasha mosque had been destroyed by an explosive device. The mosque, located in Bayaa, was heavily damaged during the explosion. Officials said there were no casualties.

Multinational Division Baghdad and National
police forces secured the area and gathered evidence following the attack.

(Compiled from Multinational Corps and Multinational Force Iraq news releases.)

Article sponsored by
criminal justice online leadership; and, police and military personnel who have authored books.

No comments: