Thursday, September 11, 2008

Multinational Corps Iraq Troops, Civilians Gather in Tribute

American Forces Press Service

Sept. 11, 2008 - Servicemembers and civilians gathered at Al Faw Palace in Baghdad to reflect on the events of Sept. 11, 2001, during a remembrance ceremony. Several servicemembers who experienced the tragedy firsthand were present to pay tribute to their country's strength during crisis, including
Army Col. John Lenk, senior military safety officer for Multinational Corps Iraq, who shared his recollection.

"This tour of duty is very personal to me, because I am one of the many survivors of the terrorist attack on the Pentagon that dreadful day," Lenk said. "Much of the world and the United States has forgotten why U.S. and coalition forces are fighting in Iraq, but I will not forget."

The ceremony was especially meaningful to the deployed troops fighting for the very freedom the Sept. 11 attacks sought to jeopardize.

"It motivates them to keep fighting for our nation, because I know they don't want to see this happen again in our home," said
Army Staff Sgt. Lesly Torres, noncommissioned officer in charge of the corps chaplain's office, who took the lead in organizing the ceremony. "It hurts, but at the same time it gives them the strength to keep on fighting because so many people lost their lives."

Army Lt. Gen. Lloyd J. Austin III, Multinational Corps Iraq commander and keynote speaker of the ceremony, spoke of the attacks and the resiliency of the United States in the face of adversity.

"Not only did our country unite as one, but the entire free world united against terrorism," Austin said. "I see that the American spirit is as alive today as it was seven years ago, and I remain grateful for the sacrifices of our coalition brothers and sisters."

Though the reminiscence was difficult for many, it reminded troops exactly what they're fighting for: freedom.

"It gave me that reason why I'm here," Torres said. "It just gave me the strength to keep on going. I hope everybody who came out knows that it was an honor for me to put this ceremony together for them."

(From a Multinational Corps Iraq news release.)

No comments: