War on Terrorism

Thursday, May 13, 2010

Combined Force Kills Dozens of Insurgents

Compiled from International Security Assistance Force Joint Command News Releases

May 13, 2010 - An Afghan-international security force killed more than two dozen insurgents and captured several others while pursuing a senior Taliban commander in Afghanistan's Kunduz province last night, military officials reported. The combined force went to a compound in the province's Kunduz district, after intelligence information confirmed the Taliban were staging for a large attack. As the Afghan-led element moved into the target area, it immediately began receiving fire from a mosque and surrounding woods, and then returned fire. Shortly after, several armed men ran toward and fired on the combined force. They were engaged and killed. Other insurgents were killed as they continued to fire on the combined force with machine guns, automatic rifles and hand grenades.

Close-air support was used, officials said, but not on the mosque and not on the compound, which received only minor damage. No civilians were harmed during this operation, officials added.

In other news from Afghanistan, several insurgents were killed and about a dozen others were detained as a combined Afghan-international patrol searched for a Pakistani-based Taliban commander in Helmand province last night.

As the combined force approached the compound in the province's Sangin district, it began receiving fire. Several armed men were seen moving to a nearby tree line, and they were engaged and killed. The security force captured several other militants as they searched in and around the compound. The combined force found multiple automatic rifles and chest racks, and a tunnel system in the compound was discovered and cleared.

The targeted militant is a Pakistani-based Taliban commander responsible for attacks against the International Security Assistance Force and is believed to be involved in training and moving foreign fighters.

In Kandahar province last night, a combined force in the Ghorak district captured a Taliban commander responsible for attacks on coalition patrols and bases. He also has been involved in planting roadside bombs and facilitating movement of foreign fighters, officials said. Two other militants were also captured.

The security force found multiple automatic rifles and about 100 pounds of heroin. No shots were fired, and no one was harmed during the operation, officials said.

In Logar province last night, several suspected militants were detained by an Afghan-international security force pursuing a Taliban commander. No shots were fired, and no one was harmed during the operation. The targeted insurgent is a Taliban subcommander believed to be heavily involved with roadside-bomb attacks and small-arms ambushes against coalition forces.

In the Nad-e Ali district of Helmand yesterday, a combined patrol found a weapons and drug cache consisting of an 82 mm rocket, a rocket-propelled grenade tail fin, a 105 mm shell casing, a 30 mm shell casing and 24 pounds of opium.

Also yesterday, an ISAF patrol found three rocket-propelled grenades, three shotguns, two grenades and two mortar rounds in Kandahar's Zharay district.

No comments: