Wednesday, November 23, 2011

A Thank You Letter to Our Troops

By Elaine Sanchez
Nov. 23, 2011

Dear deployed service member:

Last night, I packed my suitcase for a trip to see my family. The last time you packed your bags, it was for a yearlong trip away from yours.

We’ll soon crowd into our car and head to my parents’ house at the shore. You’ll step into a Humvee and convoy through a combat zone.

Tomorrow I’ll sit down for a Thanksgiving feast at a table surrounded by my loved ones. You’ll join your battle buddies in a dining facility.

At night, I’ll lay my son down in his bed for the night. You’ll lay down your rifle to catch some sleep in between missions.

I’ll check on my children one last time before I head to bed. You’ll blow a kiss to yours through a computer screen.

This Thanksgiving, I’m thankful for your service. For being among the 1 percent of Americans willing to part from your family for up to a year and put yourself in harm’s way for me and my family.

Even though you’re thousands of miles away, rest assured your sacrifices don’t go unnoticed. It’s my family’s tradition to say what we’re thankful for at our holiday dinner. This year, I’ll be sure to say how thankful I am for you.

No comments: