By Army Sgt. 1st Class Tyrone C. Marshall Jr.
American Forces Press Service
WASHINGTON, May 24, 2012 – The U.S. military has provided emergency medical aid to Yemen that’s being used to help treat Yemeni soldiers and others who’d been wounded in a May 21 terrorist suicide bombing attack in the country’s capital, Pentagon Press Secretary George Little told reporters today.
A U.S. Air Force C-130 aircraft yesterday delivered more than 13,000 pounds of emergency medical supplies to Sanaa, Yemen’s capital city, Little said. More than 300 people, he added, were killed or injured in the attack.
“U.S. Air Forces Central, part of U.S. Central Command, organized the delivery of supplies in coordination with the State Department,” Little said. “The supplies include bandages, sutures, medication, intravenous fluids and litters, and will be distributed by the Yemeni government to hospitals.”
U.S. officials have condemned the attack. Earlier this week, Little told reporters the attack in Yemen “bears all the hallmarks of having been planned and carried out by Al-Qaida in the Arabian Peninsula.”