Monday, July 02, 2012
Afghan Forces Take Security Lead in Southern Afghanistan
From a Regional Command South News Release
KANDAHAR AIRFIELD, Afghanistan, July 2, 2012 – Afghan national security forces formally assumed responsibility for security in southern Afghanistan in a ceremony at Camp Hero in Kandahar province yesterday.
Previously, the NATO-led International Security Force’s Regional Command South was responsible for security in Kandahar, Zabul, Uruzgan, and Daykundi provinces.
“It wasn't that long ago that we had no security forces,” said Maj. Gen. Abdul Hamid, commander of the Afghan army’s 205th Hero Corps. “We started from scratch, and today we have everything. I assure that there is no doubt that the [Afghan army] is ready to be independent, and we are ready for this moment right now.”
The ISAF-trained Afghan national security forces include the army, uniformed police, border police and civil order police.
“This is a step that will be marked in history for the people of Afghanistan,” said Army Maj. Gen. James L. Huggins, commander of the 82nd Airborne Division and Regional Command South. “We are ready for all of this because of all of you [and] because of the Afghan leadership.”